My daughter takes after her mama for sure, a DIY’er at heart. She has been wanting to make a sugar scrub for sometime now, after watching several youtube videos. Happy to report making your own sugar scrub is easier to make than I thought. A bonus is you can include your favorite scent, or grandmas favorite scent to personalize and gift for Mothers Day.
The benefit of using a Sugar body scrub is it exfoliates your skin, and helps remove dead skin cells, as well as lifts away dirt and excess oil, and it stimulates circulation. Something we all need during these lazy days of quarantine life.
To make a Sugar Scrub like we did, you just need a few ingredients which you most likely have at home already. Be sure to have your cutesy little mason jar or an air-tight container ready because this scrub mixes up quick and in 10 minutes you will have a beautiful gift to drop off at mom or grandma’s doorstep during this quarantine Mother’s Day.
Ingredients you will need to make a sugar scrub:
- 1 c Coconut Oil
- 1 -1/2 c of white granulated sugar
- 4-6 drops (based on desired color) of either Red (we used Purple for our Raspberry) or Red (for our Mint) food coloring
- 10-15 drops Raspberry, Lemon Extract (make your own) , Vanilla or Mint Extract
- In a microwave, melt Coconut oil for 30- 35 seconds (depending on your microwave time may vary) until melted.
- Pour the 1-1/2 c of white granulated sugar into the coconut oil and mix. If the consistency is too loose, add a small amounts of sugar and continue to mix until you have reached the desired texture you are aiming for.
- Add food coloring, adding in more drops if needed to reach your desired color.
- Add the lemon, raspberry or Extract drops of your choice to achieve the scent you desire.
- We stored ours in a Mason Jar, if you don’t have a mason jar that’s fine, just store sugar scrub in a air-tight container.
- Recipe yield 3 small cups of scrub, the perfect gifting size!
Once complete, you can print the labels below, cut out, poke a hole in the top and attach with a string, or ribbon. You can also wrap a ribbon around the jar and glue the label. Be creative and have fun. Mom or grandma will love this gift because she will know you were thinking about her enough to make her something special.